Sunday's Sermon

This past Sunday's sermon was very good and interesting. He talked a lot about why there is so much conflict in church and steps on how to fix it. His series has been entitled "Faith that Works" in the book of James. This is what I got out of it.

Most times churches have conflict(s) going on because of minor, irrelevant, and (lack of a better term) stupid things such as the color of the carpets or really just anything that doesn't go their(our) way. He mentioned that one is music. A lot of people, rather they are visiting or members complain about the music that it's not contemporary enough or old fashioned enough. Is that the reason you/we come to church? Granted I know it helps but does it matter what the song is as long as you are giving God the praise & worship that He deserves. Bro. Gil basically said that if we just focus more on God and not so much on ourselves there wouldn't be so much conflict. Not long ago I had to try on what could potentially be our new tops for our Christmas program and of course we didn't like them. This one lady mentioned that if we/people don't like them then we/people would not be in the choir for the Christmas program. I said that it's not entirely true because I don't like the ones we currently wear & I still do it...rather I enjoy it..but I've thought about it more after this sermon and she was right. Not everyone is going to grit their teeth, shut up and just do it like some will. This is with anything not just with our Christmas program. We let so many minor things that seem really major to us take our Joy of serving the one who sent His Son to die for our every sin. If you really think about what He did for us we have more Joy than we ever deserve. You know the saying..."My cup overflows"... That's what we should be more focused on than the colors in the church, the songs being sung, or the order the service is in. We get caught up in tradition, in our own desires and we loose our focus on what's important...which is being Christ-like and winning souls to Christ. We allow so many things to steal our Joy that aren't really all that important. We even sometimes steal the Joy of others in the process. We don't' realize it until it's too late. So stop and think about things, think about what Christ did for you and for me and for all, think about the grace He's given us, the blessings. He's given us so much more than we deserve that sometimes we need to stop & realize that the things for His glory is what is most important and everything else doesn't matter so much. Sometimes I don't like the songs we sing or the bible study we are doing but just because I might not be getting anything out it doesn't mean that someone else isn't. A lot of the times I'm not getting anything out of church or bible study because I'm not giving anything to it. Someone may be getting exactly what they need to hear or read or sing at that very moment. Everyone is different and I believe that God speaks to each & every one of us in different ways. God made us that way because if we were all the same it would probably be boring. We all have different problems & situations going on in our life. Our Christian walk is not easy and God didn't say that it would be but that's why we have Faith. If it was easy all the time, really what would be the point. We are to be set a part. You know, in the world but not of the world. It's hard to be a Christian but we all know the ending...It's worth it!! To God be the glory from whom all blessing flow!!

Comments

Popular Posts